Friday, November 20, 2009

Rwanda Debate





Debate Time



I thought that this discussion opened my eyes to what the real situation in Rwanda was. All the arguments, accusations, and conflicting view points made this a very fun activity. I personally represented Juvenal Habyarimana and have read many articles on him. I think that he was truly a leader of a majority pressured by his public and rebel groups to take sides. Other groups in the discussion think otherwise about Mr. Habyarimana though.Among these are Mike B and his Rwandan Patriotic Front who believe that Juvenal was a ruthless dictator and was determined on riding the world of Tutsis. The group that represents Paul Kagame also believes that we were set straight on killing the Tutsi minority of Rwanda. Brent Bookmen (along with myself) had to stand up for Mr. Habyarimana and try to convince all of the groups (and the moderator) that the man we were representing was a true leader and was simply pressured into doing what he had done by Paul Kagame and The Rwandan Patriotic Front.

This has shown me how a real official debate may take place and I hope to take place in another one. I thought that it was an interesting way to learn about a topic that was a real global tragedy as if we were the ones to decide what the overall outcome of the situation would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment