Friday, January 8, 2010

Spartan Glory

Stevenson Swimming

It was the day before Thanksgiving and we had no school. Most kids would have been asleep or just about waking up at 9 am but I was diving in a pool at that time. Today was my first day of swim practice as a member of Stevenson's team. The coach had told us to do a 500 (20 laps) kicking on your back every 3rd length. I jumped in and woke up immediately as the cold water rushed over my face and through my hair.
After warm up we started on another set. I do not remember what set it was but I do remember that I tried as hard as I could on it to make a good first impression on the coach. This plan was not a good one because it caused me to get tired faster than I would have if I had just swam the set like I was supposed to. So for the rest of practice I swam the sets as they were given. If they were fast I swam fast, if they were slow I went slow.
The coach told us to get out at 11 am and told us we could go home. I went into the locker room, found a shower, and turned the warm water setting all the way up. The warm water seemed to calm me down a bit and to relax my muscles after what seemed to be one of the hardest workouts of my entire life. I left the shower, went over to my locker, dried off, and got my real clothes back on. I was ready to go home and enjoy a nice hot home cooked meal.
I was able to snag a ride home from one of the upperclassmen on the team. I walked in the front door of my house and I was asked right away how it went. I explained to my parents what some of the sets we did were and that I thought that workout were some of the hardest 2 hours of my life. My dad being a swimmer in high school was understanding of what was in store for me up along the road.
I ate something after my conversation with my parents than I basically relaxed the rest of the day. I had Thanksgiving and all the good food that come with it to look forward to tomorrow so that was good. I was now a true Stevenson Spartan and would have to repeat what I had just done that morning every day until the end of February.

2 comments:

  1. Daviv that was a great story. i could almost se u in your skinny little speedo all wet in the pool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know how to seim so doing one lap would be hard.

    ReplyDelete